- This event has passed.
The Fundamentals of Precision Rifle Marksmanship
August 15, 2020 @ 9:00 am - August 16, 2020 @ 6:00 pm$750
This two-day course provides shooters with an introductory experience into the world of precision rifle marksmanship. During this course, shooters will learn how to obtain a zero, gather DOPE (Data on Previous Engagement), and engage targets from 100-1,000 yards from the prone position. Shooters will also engage targets off of various barricades, obstacles, and field positions from 100-600 yards. Instruction will be provided on the basic principals of exterior ballistics, including a general understanding of ballistic coefficient, environmental influences on bullet trajectory, wind reading, and other basic marksmanship fundamentals like position, trigger control, and breathing control. A brief overview of optic and reticle design will also be provided. Shooters are encouraged to participate in one of our “Precision Rifle Putt-Putt” events to gain general familiarity with their rifle and obtain rough ballistic data prior to participation in the class. We also recommend reviewing your optics manufacturer’s online tutorial for zeroing your optic.
Required Gear List:
- A scoped centerfire rifle capable of shooting a 1 MOA group at 100 yards (ideally featuring a bipod and detachable magazine). To avoid damage to our steel targets, please limit your caliber to .338 or below with muzzle velocity under 3,200 FPS – 200 rounds of quality ammunition
- A notebook for collecting data
- A smartphone capable of accessing online web calculators
- Any tools needed to adjust your optic (typically a small Allen Wrench, possibly also a shim kit) If you do not have this equipment, please contact David Maglio at firstname.lastname@example.org for rental rifle and ammunition availability.
- Rear bag to support the rifle’s stock
- Kestrel weather meter
- A “Game Changer” style front bag
- One extra 10 round magazine
- A padded shooting mat